8.13.2009

Maundering

This week my 3rd graders are learning to draw cylinders via the art of Wayne Thiebaud. I have never tried this project before, but, as always, it is turning out to be quite complicated. Maybe it's not the project that's complicated. At least, not inherently. Last year one of the 5th grade teachers told me her students thought art was hard. "She, like, actually makes us do work." Indeed.

All this talk of cakes and such has gotten me thinking about Bogie's Delicatessen in Memphis. In New York, it took an hour to get to anything exciting. Suddenly a 3.5 hour drive to Memphis doesn't seem unreasonable. Especially when the reward is a big exciting chunk of hummingbird cake.

Image: Ciara N., Yelp.com


--L

2 comments:

  1. I still drop by and enjoy reading your 'posts'! May our Lord Jesus continue to keep and bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like wayne. I have a set of notecards with the cake drawings (and some recipes to boot) that JT bought me on our anniversary trip to FT Worth museum last year. Who would have thought that I would be moving there! Speaking of cake and NY, when you get back, you should check out this spot in Brooklyn called Baked (google it). I have tried two recipes from their cookbook and let me tell you- yum.
    Hey when do you head back to the city?

    ReplyDelete