11.20.2009

Sherpa Mom, NY

Today I needed to get groceries. Fresh Direct is easy. I love ordering stuff online. I even got a doctor online. (Yes, the rumors are true! Well, the ones about having a Dr. make a house call, at least) The doctor was great. If you live in the area, I definitely recommend him. Sure beats hauling an infant and a sick toddler on public transportation then sitting in a disease-ridden waiting room for who knows how long then going to the pharmacy... Anyway. You see my point, right?

Today I could not justify the price differences for a Fresh Direct order. (My bill was $50.70 at the local grocery and would have been $61.10) This is what I got: (bear with me, there is a point to this)

Apple juice, 1 qt.
Applesauce, 46 oz.
Pasta sauce
1 box linguine
1 box spaghetti
Dried white beans
1 box Jello mix
1 box pudding mix
1 loaf Bread
2 bags frozen veggies
1 box frozen spinach
1 gallon milk
1pk. tortillas
Baby carrots
Celery
4 On-the-vine tomatoes
1 bunch bananas (actually cheaper at FD)
Plastic wrap
1/2 lb. coffee
1/2 lb. lunch meat
1/2 lb. cheese

There were other things I needed, but couldn't figure out how to haul them home. I took Corey's backpack and loaded the milk, juice, applesauce, and a few other things in it. I put Elias in the Bjorn. I put Ezra in the stroller and handed him the breads to hold on his lap. With one bag looped over each hand, I pushed the stroller 10 blocks home. I wish I had a picture.

As I loaded up to head out, the cashier asks, "You're not going to have these delivered?" What?! The dang grocery store delivers for free on orders that are more than $30. Are you kidding me? I was too flustered/proud to unload my burden at this point, so I carried every bit of it home. If I had known they delivered, I definitely would have splurged on the rum raisin ice cream.

Tomorrow I will go back. I will get everything I need. And I will have it delivered. Except for the ice cream. I will eat that while I am waiting for the truck to come.

New York is crazy.


3 comments:

  1. HaHaHaHa!!!! This made me laugh out loud! I'm so sorry you had to carry it all, but I'm so glad it will be the last time! :)

    We miss you guys so much! We are so proud of you all! If I were there, I'd totally clank ice cream spoons with you in victory my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud as well. Your pride made you carry it. Ha! Ha! As I read it I was trying to get a picture in my mind of what you looked like. 10 blocks? wow! We miss you and we are praying for you. Freddy t spoke tonite at fbc. He said some encouraging words abt you guys. John and I totally agree. Your courage is such a tribute to the God you serve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Here's me going through your list '...light, light, oooh heavy, heavy, light...'. I wish we had free delivery in my area. I think it's really amazing that you were able to get all of that in one go. I probably would've had to split that list in half. Yay for important discoveries!

    ReplyDelete